Sit & Stand desks…the future for offices?
3rd Jul 2017
What is a “Sit & Stand” desk?
As the name suggests, “Sit & Stand” desks are desks that you can either manually or electronically adjust the height of. This imaginative and clever design means that you can switch between sitting and standing whilst you work.
This style of desk is becoming much more widespread as consumers and employers alike are recognising the health and communicative benefits that the “Sit & Stand” desk brings to the work environment. For example the desks are being used widespread throughout governmental institutions such as the NHS and large corporate firms like Google.
Going further afield, every worker in Denmark now has the option to request one of these desks by law. This is how beneficial the desks are seen to be!
Are they worth it?
We all know that sitting in a chair for a long period of time is bad for us, but did you know it can even shave a few years off your life? Sitting down has been blamed for increasing the risk of heart disease, diabetes and obesity. Health guidelines suggest that we should spend 150 minutes a week doing moderate exercise, but many of us sit down for more than half the working day which is why standing desks are becoming the now must have in the office. The direct end goal of “Sit & Stand” desk’s are to reduce the amount of time spent sat down by providing a flexible working space.
Apart from the direct health benefits, studies have shown that the “Sit & Stand” desk ranges can
- Reduced eye strain by moving your monitor
- Improved blood circulation from not sitting down for long periods of time
- Improved posture as it stops you from hunching over and slouching to use your keyboard – Reducing the amount of common back problems in offices
- Being more alert- as workers are able to focus and concentrate better
- Feeling more engaged in work and with colleagues
- Much better capacity to communicate as you aren’t stuck behind a screen
I have only mentioned a few areas for ideas within this blog. If you would like me to let you know more about how Design Office Consultancy are helping businesses create change within office design please get in contact.